Enjoy all of the Capitola Half Marathon fun as a 2-Person Relay. Ride this wave tandem! The race starts at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk and travels the same, scenic route to Capitola Village and back to the finish near the Santa Cruz Municipal Wharf on Cowell’s Beach. The relay exchange takes place a the turn-around in Capitola Village. Grab a buddy and sign up today!
1st Leg = approximately 6.2 miles
2nd Leg – approximately 6.9 miles
Participants will be responsible for their own transportation for the relay. The first leg runner will start at the Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk. The second runner leg will start at the Relay Transition Zone located at the course turn-around in Capitola Village. There will be plenty of parking at both locations.
Suggested Relay Transportation Plan (Make it a true team experience!):
- Drive together in one car to the race start in Santa Cruz near the Beach Boardwalk.
- Drop off runner 1 at the start. Runner 2 proceeds to Capitola Village, parks and proceeds to the transition area near the beach.
- Runner 1 finishes the first leg to Capitola Village and transitions to runner 2 who begins the second leg back to Santa Cruz.
- Runner 1 picks up the parked car in Capitola Village and drives back to the finish area near the Beach Boardwalk.
- Runners can each carry a key to the car, or the keys can be checked with race staff near the transition area in Capitola Village.
Detailed relay instructions will be sent via e-mail and will be available on our web site prior to the event.
Captain must complete the registration and pay for all members at the time of registration.
Each team is required to have 2 members.
Relay participants must not complete the entire half marathon or marathon instead of the designated relay distance.
The race begins promptly at 7:00 am. The half marathon relay, half marathon and marathon events begin together.
The course is managed at a 6 hour time limit. Runners must maintain a 13:45 minute per mile pace as the course is picked up on a mile by mile rolling basis.
If you are unable to run within the allotted time, you will be asked to move onto the sidewalk. Once you are on the sidewalk, you must follow all traffic laws deemed by the City of Santa Cruz, County of Santa Cruz and City of Capitola. The course will be re-opened to traffic and aid stations may be closed.
Course Map (course subject to change)
Aid stations will be located approximately every two miles. Sport drinks and gel will be available at strategic course locations.
Approximate Aid Station Locations and product:
Mile 1.5: Water & Electrolyte
Mile 3.8: Water & Electrolyte
Mile 5.5: Water & Gel
Mile 7.3: Water & Gel
Mile 8.7: Water & Electrolyte
Mile 11.6: Water & Electrolyte
Mile 13.1: Finish Line Food & beverages
There will be restrooms at the start, at each aid station, the turn around in Capitola Village and at the finish line.
There will be a sweat check area near the Start/Finish line courtesy of Kennolyn Camps.
Late May in Santa Cruz County is typically beautiful. Average temperature range in the 50‘s to 60‘s with little chance of rain.
Medals & Awards
Each half marathon relay finisher will receive a commemorative finisher’s medal.
Awards will be provided to the top teams in the following divisions:
- Male: For teams comprised of two males.
- Female: For teams comprised of two females.
- Mixed: For teams comprised of one male and one female.